Skip to content
- Talented piano player associated with Jazz and Smooth Jazz.
- Started playing piano at age six, he did not start studying music seriously until he was a teenager. Worked with R and B bands when he was 17
- After a period working as a studio musician in D.C., he moved to Los Angeles in 1983 where he became a major part of the smooth jazz scene, playing with (among others) Richard Elliot, Ronnie Laws and David Benoit.
- Karukas also worked for a year-and-a-half with Melissa Manchester and in the mid-1980’s he became an original member of the Rippingtons.
- In addition to his crossover work, Karukas has gained extensive experience playing Brazilian music including with Ricardo Silveira, Sergio Mendes and Dori Caymmi
- Worked as a freelance producer
- Has been a sideman on albums by Boney James, Peter White and Craig Chaquico, worked as a studio musician and written songs for a variety of r&b/pop artists.