Once containing an attractive exterior, the Capitol Theatre was opened on 8th November 1924 with Ramon Novarro in “Ben Hur”. It had 1,400 seats in stalls and circle levels. In 1955, alterations were carried out by Scottish born architect George Rae.
It was closed on 10th March 1989 and was demolished, together with the nearby Regal Theatre. The site was incorporated into a shopping centre development that includes a multiplex cinema.